Sunday, August 21, 2022

Spring Break in Missouri

We did a little Church-History tour for spring break this year. We headed up to my parent's place in the Ozarks, then drove to Independence, Adam-ondi-Ahman, and Nauvoo where we met up with my brother Jeremy's family. It was fabulous to see them and seeing all the church history really brought it to life after studying it last year.  I still can't believe we packed so much into one week!

The Independence visitor's center was a hit. 
Where the original Cornerstone lay.

The "other temple."

Liberty jail was sobering.



It was so cold driving up to Nauvoo that we just stopped at Adam-ondi-Ahman long enough to snap a picture. Even so, you could tell it is a beautiful, peaceful place. I'd love to go back sometime when it's warmer!



Nauvoo was wonderful. The temple is beautiful and the historical houses and activities were fabulous. The missionaries who serve there have such a wonderful spirit about them. (Matt and I agreed we'd love to serve there someday.)




Joseph, Emma, and Hyrum Smith's burial place.
Loading a covered wagon.
About to wagon ride.

On the way back to my parent's place in southern Missouri, we stopped at Carthage --another very sobering experience. I stand in such awe of these men --and all the early saints whose faith was tried so severely. I so hope I can prove as faithful!







Back down south, we visited Springfield, including, of course, the Bass Pro shop. We also toured the Wonders of Wildlife Museum and Aquarium. Wow! It was so much bigger and more impressive than I thought going in. So glad we did it!











We also toured a small farm in Springfield. So fun!




And of course we roasted lots of marshmallows at my folk's place. 


Another highlight was having my mom's cousins visit from Oklahoma, Kelley and Roger Sample. Kelley presented my mom with a huge roll of paper printed with our family tree. It meant so much to her!


Just a beautiful overlook on the way home.




No comments: