Thursday, March 5, 2015

Fall 2014


Matt's sister, Lisa became Lisa Fisher. They were married in the San Antonio LDS Temple.

It was a beautiful wedding, and she was a beautiful bride!

I volunteered to be the "library volunteer coordinator" at Michael's school. So, I've gotten to help out with a few special programs that the library puts on during the school year. Here is Michael during the "Character Parade." --The first graders all dressed up as "the 101 Dalmatians."

Joseph is growing into such a "little man." He is curious and cuddly, and loves to do whatever he sees big people doing.

He really loved all the raking that went on through the fall.


Actually all of the kids did, but some were more helpful than others.  

The rake here was used less for pulling the leaves together and more for whacking them (and the occasional sibling) repeatedly. 

Adelaide is growing in to such a fun and loving little girl. Still very strong-willed, but so kind and empathetic. I learned recently that if she is resistant to something I want her to do, all I have to do is look really sad and she will instantly ask, "Does that make you sad?" Then I heave a great big sigh and say "Yes, that really makes me sad that you don't want to do (whatever it is)." Then she will immediately get a big grin on her face and say "Okay, I will!"   . . . Mealtimes, especially, have gotten a lot easier since I learned that trick.


Here are my two fairy princesses sporting their newest sets of wings. (Thanks Aunt Rachel!)


Sadie considers herself quite grown up and is always eager to please. Here she is helping me rip the wall paper out of our downstairs bathroom.  (Still waiting to repaint.)

Sadie has wanted to take ballet lessons ever since she was 2. I kept promising her she could "when she was 5." So, for her 5th birthday, she finally got her wish. Here she is on her first day of class which was, coincidentally, on her birthday.


And here she is at the performance 2 months later.   . . . I have to admit she was one of the better dancers in the group (and I am not at all biased!)

They were all little mermaids, if you can't tell.

She was quite proud of herself and felt quite grown-up in her costume and "stage make-up."


Michael is as much a boy as ever. He joined the chess club at school and is loving it!  (Actually, I volunteered to run the club just so he could be in it.  I'm not that great at chess, but I'm willing to learn along with the kids.)  He is pretty good, and can hold his own playing against the fourth and fifth graders.

Adelaide thought this was hilarious.


Here he is with his class at school.


We have loved having Uncle Stephan close by. He is so good with the kids, and they always have a blast with him.


In honor of Sadie's birthday, we took our very first camping trip. Matt ended up having to work that weekend, but luckily, Aunt Sarah drove up from San Antonio and came with us.  It was sooooo fun. We rented a little screened shelter at Huntsville State Park and brought wood for a fire. Of course we made hot dogs and smoores for dinner.

Even Joseph loved it. He was happy as he could be in the pack-and-play.

So glad Sarah came! I was determined to go with or without Matt, but I really don't think this would have worked so well if she hadn't come along. 

We had sleeping bags for everyone, but even then it got a bit chilly during the night.

So in the morning, we stoked up another fire, huddled around it and toasted the rest of the hot dog buns.

We are definitely going to do more of this!

Our Halloween tradition of going to the "Zoo Boo" at the Houston zoo continues!

Everyone had fun

and won prizes,

and got to decorate their own mini-pumpkin.

And of course we got to see lots of wild animals, too.

 . . . all kinds.

The day before Aunt Sarah had to leave, she treated the girls to a little pedicure. They loved it!

A few days before the big day, we carved our jack-o-lantern. The kids drew on the face --one was in charge of the eyes, another was in charge of the nose, and one was in charge of the mouth.

Poppie came over and did his best to cut out the shapes just as they were drawn.

Here we are on the big night. Michael was "Link" from Zelda, Sadie was a flower princess, Ada was a flower (notice the leafy sleeves?), and Joseph was a little turtle.  --They were all so excited, this was the best picture I could get.

We enjoyed a festive meal of pumpkin patch humms

and spooky tortilla wraps.


November brought colder weather  --and Matt's birthday! Instead of a cake this year, he asked me to make creme brulee.  I found a recipe and did my best.  --I didn't have a torch to light it on fine, but I have to admit it turned out pretty good despite that.

And here are a few Thanksgiving Turkeys we made out of Oreos and candy corn. Mmmm. Even tastier than the roasted kind.  For Thanksgiving dinner, we went to Matt's Aunt Adrian's house.  She had a big crowd of people and Grandma and Grandpa (Matt's parents) drove up from San Antonio. It was so fun that I forgot to take pictures. :-(







hi

1 comment:

Liz said...

So much fun! I didn't know that you had 'fall' in Texas! ;)